What It’s All About
In multiple randomized trials, voters who received a letter were significantly more likely to vote. Our daily lives have changed with physical distancing, and our Get Out the Vote efforts need to follow suit!
How to participate
Want to join the effort? You will be writing letters in your own at home. Additionally, you can join our online Zoom meetings to connect with others, hear updates of how many letters have been written, get questions answered, share insights. Starting April 18th, we’ll meet every two weeks on Zoom from 7-8 pm. Register once and you’ll receive an automatic reminder the day before each meeting. Attend one, or all! Register HERE to attend.
1. Sign up at votefwd.org — you will obtain your voter addresses and record your work on this site.
2. Make sure you have a working printer and paper, as you will print the letters from home. Alternatively, you can download the .pdf from votefwd.org and have it printed.
3. Gather your supplies:
- Pen (blue ink recommended)
- If needed, sponge and water for sealing envelopes (don’t lick the seal – self sealing envelopes preferred!)
- Optional: snacks and drinks!
- Envelopes & Stamps*
*We strongly suggest ordering your stamps and envelopes from the USPS online store in order to assist with funding their ongoing service:
4. Plan to spend about an hour customizing your batch of 20 letters. You can choose which state to write for on the VoteForward site
If you have never done this or have any other questions, we can help! Questions? Contact email@example.com
Proven in Alabama
In a randomized controlled trial in the special election for U.S. Senate in Alabama in 2017, turnout among letter recipients was 3.9 percentage points higher than turnout in the control group. (3.4 percentage points after controlling for gender, age, and other factors). This is big! It appears to be one of the most effective known tactics to boost turnout.
Indivisible Eastside’s groups
Between March 1 and Oct 25 2020 our group members have completed 11,500 letters and 45,000 postcards. Join us!