The Family Separation Crisis at the US Border
Indivisible Eastside is following the lead of established immigration advocacy organizations and supporting their efforts. The situation is changing daily, but we will try to keep this page up-to-date. Please contact us if you have information to add, or if something we have posted is inaccurate. #FamiliesBelongTogether Updated 6/29/18
? READ: Northwest Immigrant Rights Project FAQ lists concrete actions you can take.If you speak Spanish or any number of Central American indigenous languages, or have a legal background, those skills are particularly useful and you can contact the NWIRP directly to volunteer.
? READ: Seattle area Activist, Musician and all around beautiful person Tae Phoenix’s grounding blog, WANT TO STAND UP FOR IMMIGRANTS? THREE THINGS YOU CAN DO IN THE SEATTLE AREA THIS WEEK – especially point 1. Reframe the Conversation.
✓ Show up.
Attend an upcoming Families Belong Together Week of Action event to show the world this is not the America we expect:
- Sat, June 30, 11am-2 pm FamiliesBelongTogether Rally – SeaTac Federal Detention Center. Plenty of parking, easy access by Link Light Rail. To meet up with IE Steering Committee members email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 6/30 Saturday – Various Regional Families Belong Together Rallies: Bothell, Lynnwood, Edmonds, Everett, Langley, Coupeville, Bremerton https://act.moveon.org/event/families-belong-together_attend1
- 7/1 Sunday – 1:30 pm – Solidarity Day – Northwest Detention Center 1623 E J St, Tacoma https://www.facebook.com/events/276798272867272/
- 7/2 Monday – 11 am-1 pm – Put Yourself in My Shoes USCIS 12500 Tukwila International Blvd, Tukwila https://www.facebook.com/events/993846387456609/
- 7/3 Tuesday 8 am – 1 pm – Daily Vigils at Seattle ICE Office, Seattle 1000 2nd Ave, Seattle https://www.facebook.com/events/403025166863772/
- 7/5 Thursday – 2 – 4 pm- Walk a Mile In Our Shoes Congressional Office Visits – Reichert, Newhouse, McMorris-Rodgers https://www.facebook.com/events/1894577197501541/
- 7/6 Friday – Banner Drop @ Corporations that collaborate with ICE
- 7/7 Saturday – 11:30am – 4:00pm We Stand with Immigrants Symposium – Muslim Association of Puget Sound, 17550 NE 67th Ct, Redmond https://www.facebook.com/events/187535548528078/
- Use this 5calls.org script to call your reps to demand the reunification of migrant children with their families
- You can also call to demand DHS Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen’s resignation.
- Donate to help fund The Families Belong Together Week of Action: https://www.gofundme.com/families-belong-together-washington
- ActBlue has aggregated 14 great groups here so you can easily donate to them all in one click. You can also allocate your donation to them individually.
- Local Organizations:
- North West Detention Center Resistance http://www.nwdcresistance.org/
- Latino Civic alliance http://www.
- Northwest Immigrants Right Project https://www.nwirp.org/
- Colectiva Legal in Burien https://colectivalegal.org/
- Asian Pacific Islander Coalition http://www.apicwa.org/
- OneAmerica https://weareoneamerica.org
- Muslim Association of Puget Sound https://www.mapsredmond.org/
This situation will only truly change when the people in power do.
- Get registered: Go to vote.org to get registered, get absentee ballots, sign up for reminders, and find your polling place.
- Swing the house: Find the nearest SwingLeft house district near you to help flip the House.
- Flip states: Find ways to get involved in flipping seats on the state level with Flippable.
✓ Other ways to help
- American Immigration Lawyers Association http://www.aila.org/
- Mijente https://mijente.net/
- CAIR https://www.cair.com/
- Human Rights First https://www.humanrightsfirst.
- The Legal Aid Justice Center https://www.justice4all.org/
- Together Rising https://togetherrising.org/
- Urban Justice Centers Asylum Seeker https://asap.urbanjustice.org/
- Advocacy Project http://www.advocacynet.org/
- Women Refugee Commission https://www.
- Texas Civil Rights Project https://
- RAICE https://www.raicestexas.org/ (Read about this phenomenal viral fundraising effort!)
- Pueblo Sin Fronteras http://www.pueblosinfronteras.
- *ACLU https://www.aclu.org/
- *Al Otro Lado https://alotrolado.org/
- *The Florence Project https://firrp.org/
- *Kids in Need of Defense https://supportkind.org/