Members of Congress
Updated 19 Feb 2018
🔔 INDIVISIBLE EASTSIDE is ramping up its electoral game, while continuing to hold our members of Congress accountable. Join like-minded Indivisibles for our next All Group Meeting, Sunday Feb 25th 12:30 – 3:00 at the Redmond Library 15990 NE 85th St, Redmond, WA to:
- Hear what’s brewing in the CD8 House seat race
- Brush up on your electoral knowledge
- Hear from Dr. Judith Lipton on what you can do to avert Nuclear War
- Build on the momentum of the Topic Groups formed in January
Come get involved with one of the existing groups: Electoral/Voting, Environment, Immigration, Social Justice, Healthcare, Education, Corruption, or start a new one (Gun Control would be amazing). Contact Linda K at Topic_Groups@IndivisibleEastside.com for more information.
Indivisible Eastside has a few needs for the meeting:
- If you’d like to bring treats, let us know at hello@IndivisibleEastside.com
- If you’d like to contribute to operating costs (we just renewed website domain and need to renew online meeting subscription, which will deplete our balance), please visit www.IndivisibleEastside.com and click Donate.
- We’ve had requests to make meeting notes available for those who cannot attend. If you can help with this, please let us know at hello@IndivisibleEastside.com.
See you on the 25th!
🔔 THE STEERING COMMITTEE (Allison, Rhiannon, Joan, Louise, Marcelle, and Jennifer) is pleased to announce the addition of Linda Kaczmarek to the leadership in the new role of Topic Group Coordinator. Linda stepped forward last fall with energy and insight and has been a dependable resource for the organization. Because of her focus and commitment, we know Linda will be a wonderful, and much needed addition to the Steering Committee. We are excited about the work she is doing with Topic Groups and look forward to Linda assisting each group in achieving its goals, as well as connecting members to existing topic groups.
🔔 IF you were unable to attend your Legislative town hall on Saturday, Louise took some notes at the 45th LDs Town Hall that help shed some light on what’s going on in Olympia.
🔔 EVEN though Congress is in Recess this week, their answering machines will take your call. Here are your actions for this week (or check them out on the Take Action Network).
Action 1 – [US HOUSE] – URGENT — CALL BY February 20, 10 a.m.
From IE Member Dr. Judith Lipton
This is a request from Rep. Earl Blumenauer objecting to the president’s Nuclear Posture Review, 2018, that calls for the largest arms buildup since 1962.
- Rep. Suzan DelBene (1st) DC – 202-225-6311 | Bothell 425-485-0085
- Rep. Dave Reichert (8th) DC – 202-225-7761 | Issaquah 425-677-7414
- Rep. Adam Smith (9th) DC – 202-225-8901 | Renton 425-793-5180
Hi, my name is [NAME] and I’m a constituent from [CITY, ZIP].
I’m calling in opposition to Trump’s Nuclear Posture Review, 2018. This review calls for the largest arms buildup since 1962, and would most likely increase tensions with Russia and other major world powers, while making our country less secure. I urge you to sign on to the letter of opposition written by Representative Earl Blumenauer and others. To sign on, contact Representative Blumenauer’s assistant at email@example.com by close of business on February 20.
Thank you for your time and attention.
Action 2 – [WA STATE HOUSE] – Prevent Gun Violence in Washington State
Three gun violence prevention bills for WA state have passed the Senate, and are in committee in the House. You can make sure they make it to the House floor for a vote. At the 45th LD Town Hall, Rep. Larry Springer shared that thousands of NRA members are making their voices heard. We mustn’t stand silent on this.
Click each link, click “Comment on this bill”, enter your address, and email your representatives to express your support for gun violence prevention, on three fronts. Make sure to click the “support” button. Better yet, look up your Legislator and call.
🔫 Senate Bill 5992, which would ban bump stocks, the trigger modification device that allowed the shooter in the Las Vegas massacre to transform semi-automatic rifles into machine guns.
🔫 Senate Bill 5553, which would prevent suicides by allowing people who realize they are experiencing periods of extreme depression or stress to voluntarily waive their firearm rights.
🔫 Senate Bill 6298, which would keep guns out of the hands of those convicted of domestic violence harassment.
Suggested Script for all 3, but please make it your own:
Washington State needs to succeed where the Federal Government has failed. Please protect Washington citizens by passing this bill in the House.
If these don’t make it to the House floor, [add your own sentiment here]
Action 3 – [US HOUSE] Resist Trump’s Billionaire Infrastructure Scam
The next jobs and infrastructure bill that is passed can either be a huge step in the right direction or two steps in the wrong direction. We must demand that our politicians lead us forward and settle for nothing less. Major jobs-and-infrastructure bills may only happen once in a generation.
Trump’s infrastructure plan is a failure that will result in public assets being privatized and costs going up for taxpayers through user fees and tolls. It will NOT result in good jobs or better infrastructure – but it would be a massive handout to hedge funds and an environmental catastrophe that leaves behind the serious needs of too many communities. Senate Republicans need 60 votes to pass this bill, which means that they need to convince ALL of their caucus PLUS Democrats that they should support this infrastructure giveaway.
House Democrats have introduced House Concurrent Resolution 63 [H.Con.Res. 63], the #MillionsOfJobs principles, about what does belong in an infrastructure bill and what definitely does not. By pledging to support the principles laid out in H.Con.Res. 63, 156 Members of Congress (including ALL WA Dem Representatives) are committing to a strong investment in a better future that works for all of us. Democrats need to know they have the support to stand up against this corporate giveaway of public goods. A complete list of co-sponsors can be found at Millions Of Jobs and at H.Con.Res. 63 Cosponsors.
Action: Look at Indivisible Eastside’s list of 40 House Democrats who have NOT co-sponsored H.Con.Res 63. Ask friends and neighbors in those states to call on their congressional leaders to cosponsor this resolution. Know anyone in California? Of course you do!
SCRIPT #1: Use when calling Reichert, or forward to friends in other states:
Hello! My name is [NAME] and I’m from [CITY, ZIP].
I’m calling to ask [MoC] to oppose the Trump infrastructure plan because it will sell off our public assets and hurt the environment, while setting up developers and Wall Street to turn huge profits. The framework for the Trump plan makes it clear that he doesn’t actually want to rebuild critical components of our infrastructure like water systems or electrical grids; he just wants to hand mega-projects to his Wall Street friends so they can impose new fees on [MoC’s] constituents to line their own pockets. [MoC] should hold firm against this scam, and vote no on any infrastructure bill that doesn’t have enough federal dollars to really get the job done.
[Continuation of script: If House Member Not Already Signed On to H.Con.Res. 63]
Will [MoC] commit to signing on to the #MillionsOfJobs principles laid out in House Concurrent Resolution 63? It already has over 156 co-sponsors, and it draws clear lines around what belongs in an infrastructure bill and what does not.
SCRIPT #2: Bonus Action for WA State Democratic Reps:
Hello! My name is [NAME] and I’m from [CITY, ZIP]. I’m calling to thank [MoC] for signing on to the #MillionsOfJobs principles laid out in House Concurrent Resolution 63. I ask that you hold firm in your opposition to Trump infrastructure plan, which is designed to sell off our public assets and hurt the environment, while setting up developers and Wall Street to turn huge profits.
Action 4 – [IMMIGRATION] – Volunteer Rapid Response Hotline supporting self defense against ICE Raids
Forwarded by IE member Roger P-B from Washington Immigrant Solidarity Network
WAISN is in need of volunteers to staff the Washington Immigrant Solidarity Network’s Rapid Response Hotline (1-844-RAID-REP). This hotline is a key resource for helping community members report ICE activity in their communities and dispatch rapid response volunteers to verify and document ICE raids to assist with community self defense against deportations. The hotline also helps family members who have had a loved one detained, by connecting them to services and dispensing Know Your Rights information.
- What: Rapid Response Hotline Training
- Who: Bilingual English/Spanish/Other volunteers
- When: Wednesday February 28th, 7pm – 8:30 pm
- Where: Online via Zoom Conference (link will be sent following RSVP)
- Please RSVP if you are able to attend.
We are looking for bilingual English/Spanish volunteers to take regular volunteer shifts as well as bilingual volunteers in additional languages to be on call. The hotline is staffed 6am – 9pm; we are particularly in need of early morning, evening, and weekend volunteers.
Action 5 – [INDIVISIBLE] – Help Indivisible fund digital recess ads
from Indivisible National
Want to help your fellow Indivisibles nationwide hold their members of Congress accountable? Indivisible national can use your help. Help Indivisible launch digital ads during recess.
We showed the world what our movement was capable of last February during the congressional recess. This year, before we get out the vote, we’re going to get louder.
To do that, we’re running digital ads to reach new people that adds 1 new person to our list for every 67 cents we spend.
- Chipping in $26 gets our recess materials into the hands of 39 more people!
- Giving $35 puts our materials in the hands of 52 more people!
- Contributing $50 equips 75 more people with the tools needed to ask their MoCs hard questions!
- Donating $100 helps 149 more people hold their MoCs accountable!
- Gifting $250 adds 373 more people to the Resistance!
Republicans think that they’re in the clear after all the terrible votes they took last year on TrumpCare, the Trump Tax Scam, and deporting Dreamers. But our movement will be at their town halls and events to remind them. Chip in to Indivisible to help us get our recess toolkit in the hands of even more supporters.
More Actions You Can Take:
- Donate to Indivisible Eastside on our Website.
- Check out the Indivisible Eastside logowear store at www.cafepress.com/IndivisibleEastside. NOTE Sizes run SMALL so order up 2 sizes.
- Read synopsis of Tuesday meeting with the Senators’ Staffers.
- Sign up for the Take Action Network to organize and track your Activism.
- Check out the Stranger’s Resistance Calendar – a great resource!
- Attend an In-Person event:
- Tue, Feb 20, 11:45 – Resist Trump Tuesday – Seattle
- Tue, Feb 20, 6 – 9 pm – DeEscalate Washington Hearing – Pack the House in Oly! – Olympia
- Wed, Feb 21, 1 – 7 pm Hearing on PSE’s Long Term Energy Plan – Renton. If you can’t attend, consider submitting a comment through this link— comments due by end-of-day Feb 22!
- Sun, Feb 25, 12:30 – 2:30 pm Indivisible Eastside Group Meeting – Redmond
- Mon, Mar 12, 6-8:30 pm Indivisible Eastside Book Club – One Nation Under Trump – Bellevue