Members of Congress
Updated August 20, 2018
🔷 Tuesday is the last day to sign up for Thu, Aug 23, 7-9 pm Postcards To Voters in Kirkland. We hope to see you there!
🔷 SPOTLIGHT: UNITE FOR JUSTICE AUG 26 = Stopping SCOTUS nominee Brett Kavanaugh
We want to bring your attention an important event. On August 26, all across the country, Americans will stand united in commitment to our freedom and our future to demand that the U.S. Senate stop Judge Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination for a lifelong appointment to the Supreme Court. NARAL Pro-Choice WA has organized the Unite for Justice: Seattle rally Sunday August 26th at noon at Westlake Park in Seattle. Please show up and be counted in opposition of Brett Kavanaugh.
There are two important training events coming up in the next week in the leadup to the rally. Our friends at Indivisible Kirkland have organized a Testimony and Storytelling workshop at Kirkland City Hall on Mon, Aug 20 7-8pm. See the calendar section below for details and RSVP.
A second workshop is in Seattle on Wed, Aug 22 6-7pm at NARAL Pro-Choice Washington (811 1st Ave Suite 675, Seattle WA 98104) RSVP Here
These workshops will help build constituent stories about reproductive rights, health care, voting rights, environmental protection, LGBTQ rights, etc to take to our Senators in the fight against Kavanaugh. This skill also has good applications elsewhere (e.g. learning to build useful and persuasive narratives for contacting other MOCs, letters to the editor, interpersonal discussions, etc).
🔷 Here are your 3 actions for this week. Don’t forget to check out the Calendar section at the bottom for other opportunities to engage.
✊ Action 1 – [CD8, LD5] Support 3 great candidates in 2 flippable districts
Congratulations to Dr. Kim Schrier for becoming the Democratic candidate for the 8th Congressional District House seat. It’s being labeled a toss-up by fivethirtyeight.org so it is going to be a very competitive race.
Also, Congratulations go to Lisa Callan and Bill Ramos, leading candidates for Washington 5th Legislative District House Race
In the past, Indivisible Eastside has encouraged members to be involved with the campaigns of State Senator Manka Dhingra (LD45) and State Senator Patty Kuderer (LD48). In the primary, Manka is leading her Republican opponent by more than 27 points, and Patty is leading her fake Democrat opponent by more than 30 points with twice as many votes. Your work, no doubt, contributed to their current and future success.
Indivisible Eastside steering sees the 5th LD State House race, and the 8th CD US House race as two places we can make a big difference. The 5th LD is wholly inside the 8th CD, so work here also helps activate the voters who will elect Dr. Kim Schrier. The 5th LD includes Snoqualmie, Issaquah, North Bend, Black Diamond, and Maple Valley. Additionally, this race has been endorsed by CodeBlue. The tireless Julia Ricketts of CodeBlue Washington has been working closely with the WA state Dems to host Canvassing and Phonebanking events for this district for some time.
✊ Action 1a:
- Click to contribute to Kim Schrier’s Campaign!
- Click to sign up to Volunteer with Kim Schrier’s Campaign!
- Click to sign up to volunteer for Canvassing or Phonebanking!
✊ Action 1b:
Sunday, August 26 from 1-5 p.m.
Code Blue WA-Sponsored Issaquah Highlands Canvass for LD5 candidates
Come out to canvass in support of Bill Ramos for State House and Lisa Callan for State House in LD5! Work we do here supports #Flipthe8th too, so we’ll be keeping Dino Rossi out of office while we work to flip two State House seats. Training is provided that day and all canvassers go out in pairs unless they prefer otherwise. Followed by an optional BBQ and volunteer appreciation party at the Perry / Ramos residence in Issaquah!
Download the App “MiniVAN” prior to the canvass. Bring a fully charged phone, water, snacks, and comfy shoes.
RSVP by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
✊ Action 2 – [HYATT] Tell HYATT hotels to STOP HOSTING HATE
An organization that has been identified as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center will meet at the Crystal City Hyatt in Arlington, Virginia Sept 4-5. The Huffington Post reports that ACT for America will have its annual conference at the hotel. The group is led by Brigitte Gabrielle, who has been called “America’s most prominent anti-Muslim activist” by The Atlantic.
Muslim Advocates, a national legal advocacy and educational organization that works on the frontlines of civil rights to guarantee freedom and justice for Americans of all faiths, is asking the DC area Hyatt to Stop Hosting Hate.
Contact the Hyatt, Crystal City Hotel
- 2799 Jefferson Davis Highway, Arlington, Virginia, United States of America, 22202
Tel: +1 703 418 1234 | Fax: +1 703 418 1289
Contact Hyatt Corporation
- Hyatt Guest Services, call 800.323.7249 or 402.592.6465
- Corporate Phone: +1 800 233 1234 Fax: +1 402 593 9838
- Customer Service Feedback: https://www.hyatt.com/hyatt/customer-service/share-feedback/website-feedback-form.jsp
☎ Sample Script:
Given that Hyatt Hotels states ‘We embrace all cultures, races, ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations, ages, abilities, perspectives, and ways of thinking.’ the company’s decision to host ACT for America– the largest anti-Muslim hate group in America – is bewildering. Please support your statement and do not host the hate group ACT for America September 4-5 at the Hyatt, Crystal City Hotel in Arlington. There must be no room for hate at Hyatt hotels.
✊ Action 3 – [US SENATE] Do Not Fund DHS Raise
The House is moving forward with a bill that will increase DHS’s budget to a record-breaking $51 billion – including $5 billion for Trump’s border wall.
$51 billion – after DHS has failed to reunite all the families it separated, continues to terrorize immigrant communities with ICE, and abuses children without any repercussions. And instead of being held accountable, DHS is getting a raise.
The House Committee on Appropriations may have let us down, but now the full House and Senate – where we have the best chance of winning – can weigh in. Tell your senators that you refuse to send your taxpayer money to increase DHS’s budget – not while it continues to abuse immigrants.
- Patty Murray: DC 202-224-2621 | Seattle 206-553-5545 | EMAIL
- Maria Cantwell: DC 202-224-3441 | Seattle 206-220-6400 | EMAIL
- Suzan DelBene (1st) DC – 202-225-6311 | Bothell 425-485-0085 | EMAIL
- Dave Reichert (8th) DC – 202-225-7761 | Issaquah 425-677-7414 | EMAIL
- Adam Smith (9th) DC – 202-225-8901 | Renton 425-793-5180 | EMAIL
☎ Sample Script:
Hi, my name is [NAME] from [CITY, ZIP]. I oppose using my taxpayer money to fund the Department of Homeland Security as it continues to detain families, abuse immigrant children, and unleash ICE to terrorize communities. No wall. No more agents. No family jails. Don’t allow our taxpayer dollars to fund DHS’s abuse of immigrants. Thank you for your hard work answering the phones.
[IF LEAVING A VOICEMAIL: please leave your full street address to ensure your call is tallied]
Calendar of In-Person Events:
- Mon, Aug 20, 7-8 pm Story Sharing Workshop and SCOTUS Strategy Session – Kirkland. Email email@example.com for information and to RSVP.
- Tue, Aug 21, 11:45 – 1:30 Resist Trump Tuesday – Endeavour Capital: Say No to Hate! – Seattle. Join Louise!
- Thu, Aug 23, 7-9 pm Postcards To Voters – Kirkland
- Sun, Aug 26, noon United For Justice – #SAVESCOTUS – Westlake Park Seattle
- Wed, Sep 5, 7-9 pm Postcards To Voters – Bellevue. Registration Now Open!
- Sun, Sep 9, 1-3 pm Indivisible Eastside Group Meeting – Redmond (note time correction from last week’s email)
… and More:
- Voter Registration opportunities with Indivisible CD8/Fuse
- Join Code Blue Washington on Facebook then check out their GOTV opportunities
- Canvass with a candidate! Contact campaigns directly to get involved.
- Volunteer with YesOn1631 – Do Something About Climate Change
- Volunteer with YesOn1639 – Fight the NRA
- Donate to Indivisible Eastside on our Website
- Check out the Indivisible Eastside logowear store at www.cafepress.com/IndivisibleEastside. NOTE Sizes run SMALL so order up 2 sizes.
- Read synopsis of Tuesday meeting with the Senators’ Staffers
- Sign up for the Take Action Network to organize and track your Activism.
- Check out the Stranger’s Resistance Calendar – a great resource!
- Forward this email to a friend!
Crowd Sourced Actions:
Do you have an idea for future Weekly Actions? (We could use all the help we can get folks!) Email firstname.lastname@example.org to submit your idea. Your input is greatly appreciated, and please understand that depending on current events, we can’t guarantee yours will be picked. To submit an idea, please:
Submit proposals for the Weekly Actions by Thursday midnight for an action the following week!
- Include the action to be taken (who to contact – HOUSE, SENATE, LEGISLATURE, AGENCY),
- Include details about the bill (e.g. bill numbers) or regulation, when the action will no longer be effective
- Include how it Resists the Trump agenda, or forwards progressive candidates
- Link to news article