Members of Congress
(202) 224-2621 | Email
(202) 224-3441 | Email
(202) 225-6311 | Email
(202) 225-7761 | Email
(202) 225-8901 | Email
For the Week of Dec 4, 2023
???? Our very own steering committee member, Yvonne Brandon, was interviewed recently about her work with The Freedom Writers Collaborative on Rachel Bitecofer’s Podcast highlighting grassroots efforts of resistance. Give it a listen!
???? UPDATE: On September 18th, we published an action Tell Senate to Oppose the KOSA Act. Senate Commerce Chair Maria Cantwell said she’s postponing hotlining the Kids Online Safety Act as she works with bill sponsors to address concerns it could restrict content serving the LGBTQ+ community — potentially posing a hurdle to Senate passage this year. Thank you to those of you who took this action. Your advocacy works!
Here are your 2 actions this week.
✊ Action 1 – Denounce Targeting of Hospitals in the Gaza Strip
As we write this newsletter, the pause in the war in Gaza has ended and Israel has resumed bombing. National Single Payer is a national, grassroots organization that organizes locally in the struggle for national single payer health care. On November 29th they released this statement urging for a ceasefire in Gaza and a restoration of the medical infrastructure that has been decimated by the relentless attacks on the area hospitals. Israel’s air and ground offensive has resulted in the shuttering of 21 of Gaza’s 35 hospitals. As of November 12, The World Health Organization (WHO) recorded at least 137 attacks on health care facilities in Gaza, resulting in 521 deaths and 686 injuries. Since October 7, 204 healthcare workers have been killed. Before occupying the hospitals, Israeli soldiers surrounded these facilities with tanks and snipers, preventing the safe passage of staff, patients, and the newly injured victims of continued bombing. Call on President Biden to negotiate a ceasefire and to prevent genocide in Gaza.
☎️ Sample Script:
Hi, my name is [NAME] and I’m a constituent from [CITY, ZIP].
I’m calling to urge you to use all your diplomatic powers to enact another ceasefire between Hamas and Israel. The ongoing loss of life in Gaza of over 15,000 has to stop, and the US should not support Netanyahu’s brutal violence. Stop the killing now.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
[IF LEAVING VOICEMAIL: Please leave your full street address to ensure your call is tallied.]
There are police departments in our area that have a culture of impunity, where officers or police leaders mock people killed by police, target Black Lives Matter supporters, align with white supremacist extremists, and decorate their break room with disrespective items. Right now, there are very few ways to investigate or change these troubling patterns. We must rely on the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) to intervene, and they can take years – and that’s if they decide to even take the case. In the meantime, misconduct goes unchecked. This undermines the effectiveness of law enforcement, the confidence of police and community relations, and the achievement of justice.
The Attorney General’s Civil Rights Investigations and Reform bill, HB 1445, addresses widespread and systemic misconduct at police departments, sheriffs’ offices, and jails. This bill clarifies and expands the AG’s ability to investigate, look into a department’s own data, training, accountability systems, etc. and to bring suit if necessary to make changes to address civil rights abuses and ingrained problems at the department level. Please sign the ACLU petition to vote in support of it at the beginning of the 2024 session.
Calendar of Events
- Wed Dec 6, 6-8 pm – Bellevue community workshop focused on planning a Cross-Cultural Center without walls at Sammamish High School, 100 140th Ave SE, Bellevue.
- Sat Dec 9, 10 am – 2 pm – NAMI Eastside Smarts for Advocacy. A hands-on mental health advocacy training program that helps people living with mental illness, friends and family learn to be skilled advocates. Together Center, 16305 NE 87th Street, Redmond, WA 98052. Register to attend.
- Tue Dec 12, 5:30 pm – WA State Democrats Holiday Party. Seattle paid reception.
- Sat Dec 16, 6-8 pm -Eastside LGBTQIA+ Holiday Potluck, by Pride Across the Bridge, in coordination with the City of Kirkland. Location provided after registration.
- Sun Dec 17, 11 am – 3 pm – 41st LD Dems Holiday Party. Congressman Adam Smith will speak about and sign his book “Lost and Broken.” Location will be provided with registration confirmation.
Save the Date
- Tues Jan 2, 9, and 16, at 5 pm – ‘Lost Cause Politics’: Jefferson Davis to George Wallace to Donald Trump. Lectures by Professor David Domke. The course has a fee; register to attend.
- Sat Jan 6, 12-1:30 pm, location tbd – Pro-Democracy Sign-waving and Rally. Hosted by Indivisible WA-8th District, to remember January 6 and re-dedicate ourselves to upholding democracy.
- Wed Jan 17, 7:30 am – 4 pm – FairVote WA Lobby Day, Olympia, to support Ranked-Choice Voting Bill. Register for information on training and attendance.
Recorded events to check out:
- Check out the latest Indivisible Podcast: Chair of WA Democrats, Shasti Conrad
- Previous Indivisible Podcasts via Apple, Soundcloud, YouTube and Facebook
- All past Washington Indivisible Podcasts – youtube.com/WashingtonIndivisibleNetwork
- Indivisible Co-Founders Leah Greenburg and Ezra Levin on Washington Indivisible Podcast
… and More:
- Donate to Indivisible Eastside through ActBlue.
- Sign up for Take Action Network to organize and track your Activism.
- Check out the Indivisible Eastside logo wear store at www.cafepress.com/IndivisibleEastside.
- Email hello@IndivisibleEastside.com with ideas for the newsletter, questions about how to become involved, and ideas for long-term projects you’d like to be involved in.
- Forward this email to a friend!
- Take Action Network – easy ways to interact with state legislature
- Washington State Indivisible Podcast
- Washington Indivisible Network YouTube Channel
- Indivisible Eastside Resources
- Indivisible Eastside Postcards to Voters Campaigns
- Washington State District Finder – Congressional and Legislative districts
- myreps.datamade.us – local and county districts
- US Senate Calendar , US House Of Representatives Calendar