Members of Congress
(202) 224-2621 | Email
(202) 224-3441 | Email
(202) 225-6311 | Email
(202) 225-7761 | Email
(202) 225-8901 | Email
For the Week of September 14, 2020
🔷 Join us for our September General Membership Meeting on Saturday the 19th at 4 pm. We will hear from Pasado’s Safe Haven with an update on the latest legislation for the 2021 session, the Approve R90 Campaign will explain this referendum, and we will have breakout rooms to discuss how to talk about Biden’s Policies in advance of the debates. Register To Attend.
🔷 For this November’s election it is going to be more important than ever to turn your ballot in as soon as you receive it. Here are some key dates to be mindful of and to make sure you are ready to VOTE!
🔷 Eastside Change Coalition needs our help! They have made repeated attempts to set up meetings with the Bellevue City Council and have been met with passivity, dismissiveness, or no response at all. They are asking that we use this email template to demand Black voices be heard in this city.
Please take these two actions this week:
In 2018 many Indivisible groups worked hard to replace Dave Reichert in the 8th district with Dr. Kim Schrier to flip this swing district BLUE! In 2020 Republicans outvoted Democrats in our top-two primary, and as a result, Sabato’s Crystal Ball shifted this race in the Republicans’ favor from ‘Likely Democratic’ to ‘Lean Democratic.’ Now, MyNorthwest says Kim’s facing an “even tougher road to reelection” this November.
We need all hands on deck if we’re going to win on Election Day.
Action 1A) Donate to Kim’s Campaign!
Action 1B) Volunteer for Kim’s Campaign.
Action 1C) Tell your friends who live in CD8 to vote for Dr. Kim Schrier!
💪 Did you take action? Click here to be counted!
✊ Action 2 – [Resistance] Call out PSE for actions against the Puyallup Tribe and all of us
Action 2A) Construction continues on Puget Sound Energy’s LNG facility in Tacoma. In the midst of the COVID-19 crisis and this historic moment in the fight for Black lives, PSE continues to push a facility that targets brown and black bodies first and worst. The Puyallup Tribe is steadfast in their opposition and community groups continue to stand with them.
Write letters to the press and elected officials about how PSE is a bad actor. Here is a writing guide with talking points and information on where to send letters.
Action 2B) Puget Sound Energy (PSE) has partial ownership in a large coal-fired electricity plant known as Colstrip Unit 4, in Colstrip, Montana. As you probably know, coal is an extremely dirty and climate-damaging fossil fuel. Because of Washington state’s Clean Energy Transformation Act (CETA), passed in 2019, PSE is required to stop producing coal-fired electricity for sale in Washington by 2025. So PSE should be taking steps to guide the plant to an orderly retirement. Instead, they’ve filed a formal request with the WA UTC, saying they plan to sell the plant to NorthWestern Energy of Helena, Montana, which is an out-of-state utility that plans to burn coal indefinitely.
PSE is also planning to sell extremely valuable transmission lines from Colstrip well below their long-term value. These lines could instead be used to connect us to Montana wind projects. PSE most needs electricity in winter, exactly when Montana’s wind blows hardest and PSE’s existing Eastern Washington wind projects are at their lowest level of output. There are many ways that these moves of PSE are underhanded and destructive. To learn more, see the Washington Indivisible Network (WIN) Talking Points for PSE activists.
We have the opportunity right now to tell the WA Utilities and Transportation Commission (UTC) how damaging the proposed sale would be. The UTC will hold two audio-only virtual public comment hearing sessions on the proposed sale of Colstrip assets on October 8, 2020, one at 1:30 pm and another at 6 pm. Details about how to comment are on the UTC website — scroll down to Public Comment Hearing.
In your comments, please reference Docket# UE-200115 and provide your NAME and ADDRESS.
☎ Sample Script:
“Do not allow the Puget Sound Energy Colstrip Sale, Docket UE-200115. This sale undermines the Washington Clean Energy Transformation Act (CETA) which requires all Washington State utilities to remove coal fired electricity from the power grid by 2025. Units 3 and 4 produce 10+ million tons CO2/year, equal to 2 million cars. When we retire these units, it will be one of the greatest climate pollution reductions ever achieved in the Northwest. Additionally, we must stop the groundwater pollution from the leaking coal ash ponds, which customers already have to pay to clean up. PSE should also not sell their interest in a major Colstrip transmission line. Instead, it should be used to add Montana wind projects. The highly valuable transmission line is owned by its customers.
This destructive sale must be stopped.”
💪 Did you take action? Click here to be counted!
Calendar of Online or Recorded Events:
- Tues Sep 15, 9:45 am Pacific Time – Fighting Food Insecurity – Register to attend
- Tues Sep 15, 7 pm State Town Hall with AG Bob Ferguson – Register: https://bit.ly/AG_TownHall
- Tues Sep 15, 7-8 pm – Write Letters to Voters with Indivisible Eastside – Register to attend
- Wed Sep 16, 7-8:30 pm – LGBTQ Voices: Intersectionality & Finding Welcoming Communities – register to attend
- Sat Sep 19, 4-5:30 pm Indivisible Eastside Monthly Meeting – register to attend
- Sun Sep 20, 7:30-8:30 pm – Write Postcards to Voters with Indivisible Eastside – Register to attend
- Mon Sep 21, 4:30 pm – Vote Forward’s The Big Send with Hamilton – Register to attend
- Sun Sep 27, 7:30-8:30 pm – Write Postcards to Voters with Indivisible Eastside – Register to attend
- Tues Sep 29, 6-7:30 pm PST- first Presidential Debate on most major networks, Chris Wallace from Fox News Sunday is moderator
- Tues Sep 29, 7-8 pm – Write Letters to Voters with Indivisible Eastside – Register to attend
Save The Date:
- Wed Oct 7, 6-7:30 pm PST – Vice Presidential Debate on most major networks, Susan Page from USA Today is moderator
- Thurs Oct 15, 6-7:30 pm PST – second Presidential Debate on most major networks, Steve Scully from C-Span is moderator
- Thurs Oct 22, 6-7:30 pm – third Presidential Debate on most major networks, Kristen Welker from NBC News is moderator
- Tues Nov 3 -VOTE in the General Election by 8pm
Lists of Upcoming Events
- BLM Seattle-King County Calendar of Events
- The Stranger’s list of live-streamed events for our area.
- Town Hall’s digital events
- 16 Broadway plays-and musicals you can watch on stage from home (updated July 6)
… and More:
- Donate to Indivisible Eastside on our Website
- Check out the Indivisible Eastside logo wear store at www.cafepress.com/IndivisibleEastside.
- Join Postcards to Voters and write from home
- Email hello@IndivisibleEastside.com with ideas for the newsletter, questions about how to become involved, and ideas for long-term projects you’d like to be involved in.
- Forward this email to a friend!
- 📬 Resources for writing Postcards to Voters.
- 📬 Resources for writing Letters to Voters.
- 📄 COVID-19 / Coronavirus Resources and Ways to Help
- 📄 Indivisible Eastside 2020 Resources
- 🔧 Washington State District Finder
- 📆 US Senate Calendar, US House Of Representatives Calendar
- 🔧 Take Action Network to organize and track your Activism.
- 📆 The Stranger’s Resistance Calendar
- 🔊 The Daily – a 20 minute Podcast from the New York Times.
- 📄 Crooked Media – What a Day